Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cure-All? Let's See.

I moved from New York City to Milford, CT about 8 months ago, and let's just say that, in comparison, Milford isn't the most "happening" of places.  Being used to the so-called "hustle and bustle" of the city, small-town Milford just doesn't give me that old zsa zsa zsu, doesn't have that pizzazz, that spark.  I've started doing new things, some good, some bad.  Good: subscribed to an online yoga class, attempted to continue reading the stack of novels i've collected over time, etc.   Bad: spending a lot of my time sitting in front of the television watching more reality TV than any one person ever should.  Good/Bad: lots of baking.

Today on my day off I was stumbling upon many things, dear god help me, when I came across AFI's Top 100 Movies of all time.  Looking through it I realized how very few of the movies I had actually seen and decided to challenge myself to watch them in order from 100-1, and then had a "Julie and Julia"-type urge to document this challenge online.  Whether or not anyone other than me actually reads this, I feel a very visceral need to do SOMETHING with my time instead of wallow in my grievance of my life in NYC.

A little inside info on my current movie knowledge:  My favorite movies of all time (two-way tie) are Amelie and A Love Song for Bobby Long.  I have never seen some of the most classic movies ever made, and usually get the mouth-gaping, wide eyed response from people upon admitting I've never sat down to experience such films as Shawshank Redemption, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, the Goonies (?), Back to the Future, Rocky, Good Will Hunting, etc.  I have, since getting this exact response one too many times, seen Shawshank, and now I know why people were so appalled.

My goal:  AFI's Top 100 Movies (2007 list), One per Week
First on the List:  Ben Hur

No comments:

Post a Comment